Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Madras Week....



After a long break I return with my next blog. The reason which pushed me to do this is CHENNAI. I came across the news about the Chennai week. Being a Chennaite its my duty to pour my sweet memories about Chennai. Chennai completes its 371 years of existence on August 22nd since it was formed as Madaraspattinam in 1639. This old city has seen lot of raise and fall but still keeps growing with the same josh like a new born child.

            Being born in this Metropolitan city I love Chennai, as every other Chennaite. I don’t remember those days when we used to call it Madras. But I guess I started calling it Chennai since my college days. And to be honest I have never realized the greatness about Chennai since I first came to UK. More than I missed my home, I missed Besant Nagar beach (of course for onion bajji), Hot chips Coffee, Spencer Plaza….and many other things. Going to Eastham made me nostalgic, where I felt like being in T.Nagar. For people who have seen Chennai only in Tamizh cinemas, the first or only thing that would come to your mind would be the Central station. But I promise there are lot many wonders apart from this, which would make you go crazy for this city.

            Marina Beach, Santhome beach, Thirumanmiyur beach, Parthasaradhi temple, Santhome Chruch, Mount road, Shopper stop, Spencer Palza, Cooum river, Vandalur zoo, Meenambakkam airport, Kannimara Library, Tidel park, OMR, Mahindra city, Adayar tree (which no more exists), Cathepara junction, Koyembedu market, Koyembedu bus stop, Egmore, Saravana bavan, Gemini flyover, LIC building, ICF, T.Nagar, Ranganathan street, Saravana stores, Pothys, Burma Bazzar, Paris(Namma ooru Paris), Valluvarkottam, Kodambakkam, Kannaki statue, Poes Garden,  Kollywood, IIT Madras, Anna University, Madras University, Raj Bhavan, Sathyam Theater, INOX, Anna Nagar, Kilpauk Medical college, Apollo hospital, SBOA, DAV school, MTC bus, Share auto, Le Meridian, Taj, Chola, Park, Music acedamy, Software Engineers with different colored tags, Engineering college buses, IT company buses, traffic constables who are always tensed with this growing number of vehicles, our Madras Tamizh (which even people from other parts of Tamil Nadu don’t understand).…… and I know this list will never end. These are few places and things that come to my mind when I think of Chennai.

            When I talk about Chennai there would be gang of my friends who would raise their hand against Chennai. The main reason for their protest would be Autos drivers, Dust and Language. But everyone would agree no place in this earth would have all positives. Other than few negatives, I think Chennai is the most beautiful place to enjoy the life. I’m sure those people who have come to Chennai from other states also would have started liking the place as days goes by. You can never forget this beautiful, fun filled city once you start living your life here.

            Giving a glance at Chennai, we would get to see the traces of many dynasties and colonies. Santhome San Thome Basilica built by Portuguese, Central railway station(which is a look alike of London Kings cross station), Ribbon building, St. George fort and few other buildings by British people, Kapaleeshwar temple built by Pallavas, would be few examples I could think of. Chennai as a whole is the place of heritage, culture, technology and many more. The city along with its growth has given lives for many people. It has given place for everyone who came in.

This city has given me my good standard of education, friends, good experience to cherish and bad experiences to learn from, good culture, and most important my husband, who still remembers Raj Bhavan hotel sambhar everyday.

I would personally wish to see this city grow more the same way it does now. Adding to all other developments, I would personally like to see our Cooum river back to us the way it was years back. Hope it turns to be Thames of Chennai soon.  Also wish to see our auto drivers use their auto meter which would have gone rusted all these days.

At this prestigious moment, we stand together to salute this great city which has taken all the geographical, social and cultural changes to itself and been a good place for us to live in. For people in Chennai enjoy your time for the fullest and for people who stay away from the city, like me, cherish those days you spent in the city until you get a chance to land in Meenambakkam airport. (In the mean time you can catch hold of any new Chennaites whom you come across and ask them this standard question “Nenga Chennai ah? Chennai la enga?”.)

CHENNAI …… this is the place where I belong.

I’m proud to be a Chennai ponnu!!!

Happy Birthday CHENNAI!!!


1 comment: